Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Don't leave the restaurant until you.....




Tip!!! I have officially inherited the culture of tipping by courtesy of my dearest husband. Not by choice but by the looks and comments he made if I picked up the bill and getting the change back and not leaving any. Phew!

He spent half of his lifes in the Land of compulsory tipping ~ USA. So he always reminds me: "Tipping is not a town in China."

His reasoning ~ you tip, the service waiters and waitresses remember you and in your next visit, you will get the service you deserve....fast courteous service. Simple as that. I do remember on one occasion visiting one restaurant and he tipped generously. Our next visit, we could see the same waiter who had previously served us practically swished, swooshed his way from opposite end of the restaurant to our table. He must had pocketed the tip before and hoping to get another generous tip this time round. Too bad.....I paid the bill! He only got a few ringgit....of course, the hubby gave me the look.

I am not cheap nor tight but this culture of tipping just is not in my head nor in my hands nor from my purse. My simple reasoning is ~ it is the responsibility of the restaurant owners the staffs are well trained, foods served are delicious, ambience is just right....for these, there will be more future visits. It is not my problem the staffs are not paid well and have to rely on tips. I just want to have a nice meal with an affordable price and good conversation. However, should I dine and wine in a tipping-whateveramountisnormallypractice-culture/society, I will tip.

There are some restaurants here who have a tip box at the cash counter....I don't have problem with that. It is my choice to throw in the loose change in the box. Tipping pizza delivery guy ....no problem.

Tipping ~ it is just cultural.....not obligatory. Hey, in Korea, tipping is offensive! In Malaysia, it is just not the In-thing. So, westerners.....leave your customs at your home desk.

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment