Friday, October 24, 2008

Compulsive shopping ala Metrojaya Warehouse Sales
















"Affluenza" by Clive Hamilton & Richard Denniss is a great book. It's all about when too much is never enough. Spending is the name of the game. Spending to keep up with the Joneses.

In part excepts from the book ~ Clive and Richard wrote: "Compulsive shopping has been called the 'smiled upon' addiction because it is socially sanctioned." "Research shows that most compulsive buyers have histories of depression, anxiety disorders and substance abuse. Yet 'shopping til you drop' is seen as the sign of a happy-go-lucky disposition rather than a meaningless life."

Despite reading this book with a broader knowledge of understanding human pyschological behaviours.....I fell into the exact trap as the book described. *sigh*

Shopping to me is a stress reliever.People have comfort food. I do comfort shop....I shop when I am happy, shop when feeling depressed, shop to reward myself, shop when I am feeling angry. Every possible excuse to go shopping. Okay, okay, plus point ~ I don't shop til I drop.

Browsing the net (yet another excuse) led me to know that Metrojaya was going to have its warehouse sale. That would sum up ~ cheap perfume, cheap household goods, cheapo of everything. As early as last week I had put up a reminder note stuck to the fridge "Metro...thursday, 23rd. 10 am. apply leave. be early"

There I was as early as 9.30, waiting for the door to open 'sesame'. Is this stupid or what?!

The crowd was huge. I came with a purpose ~ perfumes and households stuffs. Bought what I wanted. Spent about RM1k. God knows whether I need them or not. But I drove back home...a happy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment