Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Political Blooper


* picture source: http://www.yes-minister.com/

Remember the 80s comedy shows? I used to watch "Yes Minister", later known as the "Yes Prime Minister" show. I love the sarcasm debates between the PM Jim Hacker and his principal private secretary, Bernard Woolley and Sir Humphrey Appleby, the Permanent Secretary.

I liked this particular scene, dialogues verbatim between the PM and his wife:

PM: being an MP is a vast, subsidized ego trip. It's a job you need no qualifications, no compulsory hours of work, no performance standards. A warm room and subsised meals for a bunch of opinionated wingbags and busybodies who suddenly find people taking them seriously because they've got 'MP' after their names.

wife: You were an 'MP' 5 years ago.

pm: I was the exception. I was the cream. I rose to the top.

wife: so you ordered the clampdown.

pm: I can't do that. I'm only the Prime Minister.

wife: But you're in charge.

pm: A leader can only lead by consent, consensus. That's democracy.

wife: So who is in charge?

pm: Nobody, really.

wife: Is that good?

pm: It must be. That's what democracy is all about.

==============================
Sarcasms at its best on democracy. Reflecting back to what's going on in this country and still going on, and almost in all corners of the world, people are battling with losing jobs and facing recessions, our politicians really forget who put them there in their seats. Before March '08 and after, same old shits are happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment